Monday, December 15, 2014

Adorkable By Sarra Manning

           Fair Warning this book was written by someone in England, so it uses English slang instead of American slang words. VERY IMPORTANT!!!
             Adorkable is what it sounds like. Adorkable. Two smart , but totally different, teens have nothing in common except for their cheating exes. Jeane Smith is a blogger, dreamer and CEO of her own lifestyle brand. What a thing to be doing at 17!!! And then there is Michael Lee. Michael is THE golden boy. He has the perfect grades, the star of the stage and football field.. All the girls love him. What's not to love? However, neither Jeane nor Michael really planned on being around each other. In fact, Jeane hated Michael's guts. She wore the weird almost grandma like clothes and he wore American Eagle and all the "In" things.
            Here's the thing. I for some reason have decided that I really like the teenage romance thing. If you do not like that sort of thing like some of Sarah Dessen's books (If you do not know who that is she is a teenage romance write) then I would not suggest this book to you. There is some mature content and I would not suggest it to anyone under the age of 13 or 14.
            Sarrah Manning takes a while to get to her overall point of the book. It took me till the last 100 pages to come up with some of the overall themes. Some examples were: It's not fun being alone. Being alone is for loser's. You don't have to fit in, you just have to be yourself. These are some of my favorite's.Ways to have made this story better would have been to have the overall theme's in the entire book and not so I will see them at the end.
            Now to dive into the feelings I have tied to this book, I would like it if MY friend were to tell me pack my bags I would be all for going to New York with a friend by my side.That would be amazing. Do I think it would realistic, of course not, but I would be all for it. I like to think I would be closest to Jeane out of my friends, but I know that is not true. I would not even exist in this book. I wouldn't be any of the main characters. I might possibly fit in as Jeane's older sister, Bethan, who is a med student and gets engaged and maybe happy. I know Bethan is a little crazy from Learning about Jeane's past.
              One thing I definately feel I learned throughout this book was to not judge people so quickly. If throuhout the book we were not to learn about Michaels or Jeane's past, I would LOVE Michael and probably HATE Jeane. It could go either way with Jeane. You would either look up to her, or hate her. Maybe my weird outfits that I would love to have again and look fine in would make me adore Jeane. Jeane is a crazy, smart and frankly very blunt. Michael is perfect according to everyone who doesn't really know him. Anyway, to truly know someone, you need to know their past, present and where they want to be in the future. I don't think that is where Sarrah Manning meant for me to take this book, but it's like stereotyping people. Why do we do it if we have been proven wrong time and time again? DON'T JUDGE A PERSON BY WHAT YOU SEE. You could be very wrong.
              Lastly, I would like to share some other books that would go along great with this. Basically every Sarah Dessen book or many of John Green books. I haven't read most of these, but the authors them selves are AMAZING.
               Any suggestions on what I should read next or would like me to review? I have a long list, but would like any people want to know more about themselves.

"Love, Hate  Whatever" -Sarra Manning in "Adorkable"

1 comment: