Monday, May 4, 2015

Dear John by Nicholas Sparks

            Dear John makes me think of the song Dear John by Taylor Swift. I have never been on a date let alone been in a relationship where anything has been serious. But I can imagine that I would be devastated if I was completely in love with this person and then they break up with me. The lyrics to the chorus are" Dear John, I see it all now that you're gone./ Don't you think I was to young/ to be messed with?/ The girl in the dress/ Cried the whole way home, I should've known" 
            John and Savannah did not know each other for very long, but I don't think it takes a long time to love someone. The kind of love that they shared is different than you would have with most people. In fact, most people love a lot of people. Your best friend. Your sister. Your mother. You nieces and nephews. There are so many people in this world to love. This lady came and she talked to a group of people at my church. One of the things that she talked to us about was love. Sometimes we make it hard to love people, but really it is not that hard. She gave us a few steps. 1. Break the ice. It can be hard to share things with a person, but honestly if you get through the small talk part, it will not be that bad. 2. Share with them something you have a hard time with. Because we are all struggling with something. For John it was the distance between the people that he loved. 3. Find something that you would do together. You would be amazed at the connection that would make. You have to find something in common and then not necessarily make it a commitment, but it means that it is something you can do together. and lastly 4. Something that you would say to them if you knew that that would be the last time you ever saw them and they were out of birthdays(like they are gonna die).  
            These few steps are ones that John and Savannah took, minus the last step. They got to know a little about each other and they shared things about themselves that no one else knew. They had plans. By the title I can imply that some breaking up is gonna happen, but the little twist that Nicholas Sparks presents in the book really gives me a great perspective on love. This is a beautiful story and I highly encourage this book.

"I finally understood what true love meant... love meant that you care for another person's happiness more than your own, no matter how painful the choices you face might be."
-Nicholas Sparks

No comments:

Post a Comment