Saturday, February 28, 2015

Life As We Knew It by Susan Beth Pfeffer

           This was surprisingly better than I thought it would be. Sometimes when someone tells me how great a book something is, I am prone to not believe a word they said about how good this book is because I know people prefer different things and some books mean more to us during certain parts of our life.
            "Life as we Knew it" is follows a girl named Miranda and her family on a journey believed to be the end of the world. It is part of a series and I have one read the first book, but I am sure that just reading the first would be fine if you chose not to read the entire series. Some questions I have had in the past are actually answered in this book.
            Why should we have a food storage?
Well at anytime and in the least suspecting times something awful could happen. It could be the end of the world and your going to need food and water to survive. It will be a miracle if you get food during the times of chaos. Keep enough food for at least a year. Or more. Keep a food storage, so in case of emergencies your family will have food. It could also be used if one of income provider's get fired or laid off. It really could anything.
            What really matters?
For each person I think it differs. For Megan it was making it to heaven. For Miranda it was making sure the rest of her family lived. In the end does making sure someone has birthday gift matter? It might be a better gift just to make sure they live till their birthday. Or does having the most hip in style clothes really matter? There could be someone dying just to have enough clothes to wear in the middle of winter. They just need clothes to keep warm enough not to die from hypothermia.
            Why should I/you keep a diary or journal (Whatever it is you want to call it)?
Whether we think it is important or not, a journal is worth keeping. You may not want to remember the events that took place, but who's to say that one of your great grandchildren won't want to know what you went through? Everyone keeps hope for a better future. Well it's best to learn from the past. If you don't want your future posterity making the same mistakes you did, then keep track of your mistakes, how to avoid making the same mistake, or what the outcome was. The future should be allowed to know about us. More specifically they deserve a chance to know you and what life was like for YOU.
            I don't think I have any other questions, but it teaches a lot. It times of chaos, you should be able to rely on family to help you. For me I'd make family priority. This book although fictional, has great depth and Pfeffer did an amazing job putting this book together. It was recommended to me and now I recommend it to you. Please let me know what you think of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment